Astigmatism is a vision problem that occurs when light entering the eye is unable to be brought to a single, clear focus, resulting in blurred vision.
Astigmatism may occur with nearsightedness (myopia) or farsightedness (hyperopia). It is often caused by the cornea, or front surface of the eye, having an irregular rather than a round curvature.
Risk factors for the development of astigmatism include:
- A family history of astigmatism
- Poor posture and visual stress from near work such as reading or using a computer.
Individuals with astigmatism may experience:
- Blurred vision at any distance
- Headaches or eyestrain.
Treatment for Astigmatism
Treatment may include:
- Eyeglasses or contact lenses
- Laser and other surgical procedures to reduce reliance on eye glasses or contact lenses.
Locate a Doctor in your area who is experienced and knowledgeable in diagnosing and treating astigmatism.